Saturday, July 18, 2009

Praise Worthy: Benefit Dinner for an Amish Boy

A tragic accident brings out a community's true character.

Most of what we see on television or hear on the radio seems to be negative. I get really tired of hearing nothing but negative all the time. So when I see something good happen, I feel compelled to write about it. Yesterday I witnessed a community come together for the sake of one family.

The story begins almost one month from today. A young Dutch boy lost one leg and part of the other to a lawn mower incident. Hospital bills are now an overwhelming $300,000.00.

In an effort to help this weary family raise money, the Dutch community held a benefit dinner. They were hoping to have a gathering of 500 people from around the Fredonia community. In a great showing of compassion, this figure was easily doubled.

I did see the child to whom the accident happenned. I saw his right pant leg limbless and flapping and the other limb disquised by a sock. This would have been sadder, but what I saw was amazing to me.

The little boy was being pushed through the isles by a child very close to his same age. He was clearly having fun and it didn't look as if he was in pain at all. Yet, his family were weary and the guests were somewhat somber as they gazed upon him.

Although undoubtedly on powerful pain medication, it seemed to me that his wounds weren't stopping him in the least. I feel we could all learn a few things from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your input. What are your thoughts?